3D max or Sketchup with V-Ray

3D max or Sketchup with V-Ray

Postby Dorrny » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:11 pm

So we are trying to find out the pros and cons for using 3d max or Sketchup with V-ray.
It is far easier to render in sketchup but there seems to be a lot of limitations compared to 3D max. Is that the case or am i just not good enough using Sketchup? It would be great if someone has some examples or input about this.
Dorrny

Re: 3D max or Sketchup with V-Ray

Postby habana84 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:15 am

i've used vray for sketchup and i must say that is far from the "original" of 3dstudio.
the quality is not that different, but with larger models the loading is very long.
Anyway, sketchup is a very easy tool and make modeling very easy, plus it's becoming very popular and i have read that the new version will have a better compability with plugins..even this vray?
so.. if you alredy can model in 3dstudio remain with this, but if you want to spend less money, go with sketchup..
augh.
what do you think?
habana84

Re: 3D max or Sketchup with V-Ray

Postby Dallas » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:29 pm

I usually model in Autocad and then pretty much use max for rendering and placing objects. So the office really want to go for sketchup since it is free. But the you have to learn the staff to use it. They already know how to use Autocad and to learn them to model in 3D would be easy. Then you need to learn how to render in max with V-ray and that is a bit more tricky. Rendering with V-ray in Sketchup seems very easy but i have not tried it for long and do not know how well things will look in the end when you need more complex renders. If i could import dwg files in to sketchup without messing up the mesh it would help but so far no luck. So it is tricky to find out what is best.
Dallas

Return to Vray